Spring Bling

I was feeling a bit of Spring fever as the weather is getting warmer, so I thought I would do something out of the ordinary for me – something warm and colorful. Also, my wife has been looking at macrame plant hangers and that took me back to when I was a kid in the 70’s. So, the flowers and the 70’s nostalgia led me to want to do something colorful, but a bit retro, and this poster idea was born. I actually did a rough sketch of it on my tablet as I was searching.​ Pretty rough, I know.

With all this in mind, I started experimenting with shapes for flowers in the custom shapes tools and searching online for flower shapes. As a part of that search I came across Red Butte Garden’s website and thought it would be a good idea to make some type of poster based on one of their advertised events. I settled on their announcement for Spring Bling. I also found a great image through my searching that was free for commercial use that not only had the flower styles and colors I wanted, but also had the texture I was looking for. (https://myphotoshopbrushes.com/custom_shapes/id/3491/). While I was on the Red Butte Site, I found an image of their logo and saved it to use as well.

I started by uploading the image to the Adobe Kuler site and choosing a bright pallet of colors based on the image. I then opened the flower image and cut each individual flower off the image into it’s own layer. I transformed all the flowers into smart objects to enable me to resize as needed. I also used the content aware tool on a separate layer to clear all the flowers off leaving me with a plain cream background with the texture intact. This would be my texture image and make the whole thing look like it was done on a rough paper canvas like some pictures I’ve seen from the 1970’s.

Once I had all that done, I created a new image that was 11 x 17 inches and 72 dpi. I then dragged each image over into the new image. The golden spiral is right in your face on this one. I overlay-ed an image of the golden spiral and placed it on top of the background at 50% opacity so that I could follow the line. I placed the flower pot and started copying flower layers and moving them into position. There are almost 100 layers of flowers in the image and each was had placed and sized. I tried doing them in groups, but the effect just wasn’t the same. Once I had the flowers arranged I used the custom shape tool to place the grass, stems, and leaves. I used the multiply blend mode on the layers to pull the texture through and make for richer colors.

Once all the flowers and greenery were in place I used the text tool to write Spring Bling. I used the Lucida Handwriting font for a more whimsical, spring-like feel, and applied a text style I created with the flowers to the text. After that, it pulled in the logo and reduced the opacity to 80% and played around with the blend modes until I was happy with the way it looked. The colors on the logo weren’t quite right, so I used the color replace tool and painted over the words and leaf in the logo to get the colors matching.

After that it was grouping of layers and clean up. I rasterized all the smart objects to reduce file size and grouped like objects together as best I could.

​And Spring Bling was born! I hope you enjoy.

Posted In

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.